The University of Florence has its origins in the STUDIUM GENERALE that the Florentine republic wanted to create in 1321. The disciplines then taught were law, civil and canonical, literature and medicine. Many famous names were called as teachers: Giovanni Boccaccio was commissioned to give lectures on the Divine Comedy.
The importance of the Studium was sanctioned by a Bull of Pope Clement VI, with which the qualifications it issued were recognized and validated, the maxima privileges already granted to the Universities of Bologna and Paris were extended, the Faculty of theology. In 1364 with the Emperor Charles IV, the Florentine studio became an imperial university. The Medici, at the time of their advent to the government of Tuscany, exiled him to Pisa in 1472: from that year the transfers became frequent, depending on the changes of government. Charles VIII brought it back to Florence from 1497 to 1515, the year in which, with the return of the Medici, the Studiumit was again moved to Pisa. Even after this date, many teachings remained in Florence, while the researches had excellent support in the numerous academies that had flourished in the meantime, such as that of the Crusca and that of the Cimento.
All Rights Reserved. © SILVEROAK CAMPUS AND RESEARCH FOUNDATION